One of few remaining Australia's ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy ministries, Liberty Christian Ministries, is advertising for someone to work for the organisation (advertisement above).
After 15 years of monitoring ex-gay organisations and knowing many ex-gay leaders (former and current), it made me think what a realistic job description might look like. Probably something like this.
A Christian ministry, working with 'unwanted same sex attractions', seeks new leader.
- Your same-sex-attraction must be unwanted
- Supernatural faith that God can make all people 'normal' (turn green eyes to blue, red hair to brown, make left handed people right handed and, of course, homosexuals heterosexual)
- Excellent double-speak communication skills. Example 1: Say heterosexuality is not the goal but constantly talk about being married and having children with 'proves' you are no longer gay. Example 2: Say you are a 'former homosexual' and that any thoughts or feelings you have now towards the same sex are just thoughts and temptations.
- Good knowledge of appropriate wording (appropriate words - homosexual, homosexuality, unwanted same-sex-attraction, sexual/relational brokenness. Inappropriate words – gay, lesbian, LGBT, sexual orientation. You can use the word gay when referring to gay activists or the 'gay lifestyle' however.)
- Clearly understand the 'no-one is born gay' theory but that homosexuality is caused by a strong mother/weak father and/or sexual abuse and be able to source websites and articles that demonstrate you are right (whilst ignoring latest scientific research).
- Ability to link an individual's sexual addiction and abuse to their homosexuality and not confuse these as separate issues.
- Be prepared to accept the highest levels of accountability to make sure you are not secretly playing up behind the scenes.
- Confidently and assertively communicate to people struggling with same-sex-attraction that they can never experience falling in love or having a life partner (celibacy is their calling).
- Highly motivated to work with people who eventually give up.
- Exceptional organisational skills to build a ministry that is becoming increasingly irrelevant.
- Must be able to quote the Sodom and Gomorrah story, Lev 18:22 & 20:13, Romans 1:26-27, I Corinthians 6:9 by heart. And also demonstrate that these verses are about homosexuals today and have nothing to do with rape, pagan practices or temple prostitution.
Successful applicants will have to answer these 20 questions
NB: No formal psychological or counseling accreditation required.
For more information on the work of Liberty Christian Ministries read here.
© Anthony Venn-Brown
Anthony Venn-Brown is the co-founder and former leader of Freedom2b, Australia’s largest network of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) people from Christian backgrounds. He is also an educator and consultant on LGBT/faith issues and leader in deconstructing the ‘ex-gay’ myth. Anthony’s autobiography 'A Life of Unlearning', details his journey from married, high profile preacher in Australia’s mega-churches to living as an openly gay man. Anthony has been twice voted ‘One of the 25 Most Influential Gay and Lesbian Australians’ (2007 & 2009) and was one of four finalists for the 2011 ACON Community Hero Award. He is also the founder and director of Ambassadors & Bridge Builders International.
Labels: conversion therapy, ex-gay, exodus, Liberty Christian Ministries, Living Waters, reparative therapy